The CITB Health, Safety & Environment (HS&E) test ensures workers have a minimum level of health, safety and environmental awareness before going on site.
The CITB HS&E it is also a mandatory requirement for all candidates looking to gain a CPCS or NPORS Plant Operations card, or CSCS Construction Skills Certification Scheme card in order to gain access to site.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates needing to gain the Green CSCS 'Labourer' Card (formally the CSO 'Construction Site Operative' card) are no longer available to do so by merely undertaking the CITB HS&E test, candidates now need to have undertaken the CITB Health & Safety Awareness (or equivalent) before being issued with a card.
For further information on the gaining the Green CSCS Labourer Card please click here.
The HS&E test should be used as a stepping stone for employers and their workforce to further develop their knowledge and understanding of best health & safety practice.
All tests last for 45 minutes and have 50 multiple-choice questions including:
- 12 behavioural case study questions about how you should behave on a construction site to stay safe
- 38 knowledge questions to check your awareness of health, safety and environment issues
Different tests have been developed to meet the demands of different trades and professions. You will need to make sure that you take and prepare for the right one.
If you are taking the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test to gain a card for access to construction sites, or to go towards a plant operations card please ensure you have checked the scheme requirements before hand to ensure you are booking the correct level of test - alternatively please speak to one of our advisors who will be happy to guide you through the process.
Booking The Test:
Ths CITB HS&E test can be booked via the CITB Construction Industry Training Board themselves (at a cost of £19.50 inc. VAT), in order to book your test at one of their centres across the UK please click here
The following tests are available:
1. Operative Test - including the behavioural case studies and the five core knowledge sections:
- Legal and management
- Health and welfare
- General safety
- High risk activities
2. Labourer Test including L1 award- The HS&E Labourer test is designed to support those candidates who have undertaken the Level 1 award in health and safety in a construction environment through a Cskills Awards centre.
The test includes the behavioural case studies and five core knowledge sections listed above.
3. Specialist Test - including the behavioural case studies, five core knowledge sections and relevant specialist knowledge questions from one of the following activities:
- Supervisory (SUP)
- Demolition (DEM)
- Plumbing (JIB) (PLUM)
- Highway works (HIW)
- Specialist work at height (WAH)
- Lifts and escalators (LAEE)
- Tunneling (TUNN)
- HVACR - Heating and plumbing services (HAPS)
- HVACR - Pipefitting and welding (PFW)
- HVACR - Ductwork (DUCT)
- HVACR - Refrigeration and air conditioning (RAAC)
- HVACR - Services and facilities maintenance (SAF)
4. Managers and Professionals Test - including the behavioural case studies, five core knowledge sections and relevant specialist knowledge questions from the following activities:
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Highway works
You may also be interested in…
CITB Health & Safety Awareness course (to gain the Green Labourer CSCS card)